I have designed a bookmarklet combo for those having del.icio.us and digg accounts and want readers of their blogs to easily post the liked articles into their respective del.icio.us and digg accounts. It was a result of my necessity though !! This bookmarklet is unique in comparison to the ones which you must have come accross somewhere else on the net. It is immensely useful for those having free blog accounts like me with any blog provider and do not have the privelige to access the server side widgets or scripts.
- It simultaneously generates links for both del.icio.us and digg accounts
- The links have the del.icio.us and digg icons already embedded
- Gives a prompt for easy copy pasting the links in your posts
Creating the bookmarklet:
- In Firefox enable the bookmarks toolbar, if you haven’t, through view > Toolbars > Bookmarks Toolbar
- In the bookmarks toolbar right click and select “new bookmark“
- Copy the entire text from here in the “location” field and type “del+digg” in the “name” field. Hit “OK“. Your bookmarklet is now ready to be used.
Using the bookmarklet :
- Write a blog post and publish it (You have to first publish before using the bookmarklet)
- Visit your post through the permalink provided for it.
- Now click on the bookmarklet and copy the text from the prompt to your clipboard
- Edit the post
- Now simply paste the copied text in the HTML view for the post content at the end.
- Save the changes made and you are done.
I have done the same steps as above for this post and you can the see the results here below. So now you can bookmark my post to your del.icio.us accounts or digg them right through this blog.
Happy digging !!